strive Carer Support Groups
Responding to the isolation that they had experienced as carers of children with eating disorders, two EDFA directors Christine Naismith and Violeta Bozinovski founded a carer support group in late 2016 in Flemington, Victoria. This group has provided a place of compassion, peer support and mutual learning and in 2019 the board determined that these groups should be offered to carers through Australia, to complement services already being provided. A project manager was employed to drive this vision and EDFA now have three strive support groups and another seven in development for launch in 2020. It is anticipated that strive carer support groups will be rolled-out where there is a gap in services and where there are local carers willing to be trained as volunteer facilitators.
strive carer support groups:
- Provide a safe, supportive place for carers to meet each month in a semi-structured environment which allows for both knowledge sharing and peer support
- Provide information and resources to assist parents and carers to understand eating disorders and their integral role in recovery
- Encourage empowerment of carers in their role in the recovery of the person with the eating disorder.
- Are run by trained volunteer carers, for carers.
To help overcome geographical barriers, EDFA also operates an online national membership service and a closed facebook group (search for Melbourne Eating Disorder Parent Support Group) where we provide support and maintain an online presence.
Always 2nd Wednesday of Month, 8-10pm
28 Farnham Street
Always 4th Wednesday of Month, 6.30-8.30pm
Bendigo Croquet Club
185-189 Barnard Street,
Bendigo (next to Bowls Club)
Always 3rd Tuesday of Month, 6.30-8.30pm
Citiplace Communty Centre
Upper Level Walkway,
Perth Railway Station Complex
378 Wellington Street
Attendees will be asked to join EDFA for a $25 annual family membership. With thanks to a very generous donor, we are currently offering the book by Ganci, M & Atkins, L: ‘Unpacking Your Eating Disorder’ at no charge (valued at $26.95) to all new members.
Please contact Christine.Naismith@EDFA.org.au board director
Or Helen.Searle@EDFA.org.au, Project Manager should you wish further information or are interested in setting up a local group.
The Around The Dinner Table forum is a free eating disorders peer support service provided for families and carers by F.E.A.S.T. It is moderated by kind, experienced parent caregivers trained to guide you in how to use the forum and how to find resources to help you support your family member. This forum is for parents of patients with all eating disorder diagnoses, all ages, around the world. If you need help using the forum please reach out to one of the moderators.
“WHEN THE PARENT IS SUPPORTED THE PATIENT IS SUPPORTED”
Closed Facebook groups
ATDTfb: An international peer support group for eating disorder caregivers on Facebook as a supplementary support forum to the F.E.A.S.T Around the Dinner Table online Forum.
IEDPS: An international peer support group for adults who care, or have cared for a loved one with an eating disorder. We are here for peer-to-peer sharing, support, education, guidance, encouragement, and to offer HOPE as we support our loved ones toward recovery
For Melbourne people, there is a Melbourne Eating Disorders Parent Support.
All of the above are closed Facebook groups, requiring you to answer some questions before being admitted to the group. All of these groups provide a private environment for connecting with other caregivers and cater for all types of caregivers from parents, friends, siblings and spouses.
Recent EDFA BLOG Posts
- Historic moment for eating disorders in Australia
- Press release from the Honourable Greg Hunt Australian Federal Minister for Health
- Loves knows no boundaries in recovery by June Alexander and Holly Curtis
- The Academy For Eating Disorders World Eating Disorder Healthcare Rights
- Eating Disorder Diary Writer, June Alexander, Narative Work shops in Perth Western Australia