The Eating Disorders Association of New Zealand has assisted EDFA to provide a list of Web Resources from the EDANZ website so that carers, families, loved ones can easily access.
- Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders is an international organization of and for caregivers of eating disorder patients. F.E.A.S.T. serves families, carers, parents by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders.
F.E.A.S.T. believes that empowered caregivers are essential to the recovery process and to advocating for evidence-based treatment and research. F.E.A.S.T. has over 6,000 members on four continents and is run entirely by volunteers and supported through individual donations.
- Feed Your Instinct (FYI)
An interactive tool designed to support parents of children and young people experiencing different types of eating problems.
- The National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC) brings expertise, experience and evidence from leaders in the field together in one place. Their primary purpose is to make eating disorders information a lot more accessible for everyone
- The Butterfly Foundation is the peak national body supporting and representing the interests of individuals with Eating Disorders and/or body image concerns, and their families, friends, and carers. The Butterfly Foundation is a charitable incorporated organisation that provides a range of services including telephone and online support, school prevention programs, support groups, direct relief, a day program, school presentations, parent and carer consultations, research, and provides advocacy and leadership.
- The Academy for Eating Disorders is a global professional association committed to leadership in eating disorders research, education, treatment, and prevention
- Maudsley Parents was created in 2006 by parents who helped their children recover with family-based treatment, to offer hope and help to other families confronting eating disorders. We offer information on eating disorders and family-based treatment, family stories of recovery, supportive parent-to-parent advice, and treatment information for families who opt for family-based Maudsley treatment.
For more websites on carer support organisations, resources in individual states please got to our Family and Carer Well Being pages
Resources on the topic of “parents are not to blame for eating disorders”
Binge Eating Disorder BED
Men and Boys
- Men Get EDs Too
- I Chose to Live Facebook page
- MentorCONNECT Presents Making a Full Recovery as a Male with Anorexia – a Teleconference with Dan Moore
Adults & Adult Children
- Families with university-bound kids may find helpful
This is a simple, yet effective guide that can be used to support patients in adopting a more positive relationship with food. If patients haven’t reached all these goals then caregivers need to remain vigilant and mobilized.
- Tips for offering support to your adult child in eating disorder treatment
- The myth of motivation in adolescent eating disorder recovery
Eating Disorders and Substance Abuse
Eating Disorders and Pregnancy
Diabetes and Eating Disorders
The Diabetes and Eating Disorders website provides easily accessible information and resources on all things related to diabetes and eating disorders for you, your loved ones, and your health care providers. Receive support and non-medical advice from others in the same boat. DEDA is dedicated to advocating for improved services and working along side health providers to ensure you are getting the best possible treatment.
For Health Professionals
- AED Report 2012 Critical Points for Early Recognition and Medical Risk Management in the Care if individuals with Eating Disorders
- Dr Cynthia Bulik, Gentics and Epigenetics of Eating Disorders
- Bulimia FBT study
- Article in Psychiatric Times, Walter Kaye
- Hypermetabolism in Anorexia Nervosa I Science Of Eating Disorders
- Paying the Price – The Butterfly Report – The Economic and Social Impact of Eating Disorders in Australia
- Article in Psychiatric Times
- Early weight gain predicts outcome for GPs
- Walter Kaye pod cast
- Julie O’Toole, Kartini Clinic
- Dr Sarah Ravin
- June Alexander
- The Ten Pound Blog
- Columbia Centre For Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorder Recovery for Adults
- Tips for young people, resource for schools
- Comorbidities, dual diagnosis,Eating Disorders, Anxiety and Depression – understanding co morbidity
- University of California San Diego Eating Disorders Program Blog
Great Pod Casts
Click below to listen in to a free audio show hosted by Laura Collins Lyster-Mensh about how parents carers families can be involved and collaborate during their loved ones’ eating disorder treatment. Hear interviews, news, research findings, ideas, resources and innovations in the eating disorder world for free online, or in your favorite podcast player.
There are 21 as at 25th of September 2017 here are a selection.
Episode 21: State Not Weight with Dr. Rebecka Peebles
Episode 18: ICED Conference in Prague 2017
Episode 13: At Home With Eating Disorders conference for parents and carers in Sydney
Episode 9: Is Eating Disorder Prevention Possible? A conversation with Michael P. Levine, Ph
Episode 3: Australian Innovation Adds An Expert Parent On Treatment Team
Episode 1: Why Include Parents During Eating Disorder Treatment?